Friday, May 14, 2004

out of material...


I have run out of yarn to finish Daisy. The pattern calls for 21 oz. of a vintage Red Heart Knitting Worsted, which was a worsted weight wool. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any info on this yarn so I tried to wing it a little.

So, it was time to do some math. Figuring that for worsted weight, there are 1,000 yd/lb

21 oz / 16 oz = 1.3125lbs

So I would need 1,313 yds to complete this project. For TLC Cotton Plus, there are 186 yds per skein.

1,313 / 186 = 7.05 skeins

Well, I have run through those 7 skeins and I still haven't even started the right front piece or the second sleeve. So, it looks like I'm going to be taking a trip out to the 'burbs this weekend.

I usually do a pretty good job at substitution yards when I know the gauge and length needed. I just need a good resource to use for vintage yarns. There are tons of great vintage patterns that I would like to know but don't want to keep running back to buy more yarn, or end up with tons of misfit skeins once I'm done.

No comments: