Monday, September 20, 2004

4 pound bundle of joy...


Friday was a very productive day off. I got up and futzed around the apartment. Actually, I wasn't able to sleep in so I got in some early morning knitting done, along with a few loads of laundry. Then I trekked out to the 'burbs. Since we were "car-sitting" for the weekend, I figured I'd take advantage of the situation and drive up to Rockville, MD.

First stop, Marshalls. I was looking for yoga pants. I keep telling myself that I'm going to start taking classes. So, I wanted to have some comfy pants. Unfortunately, the selection was really, really bad. mission...failed.

Next stop, AC Moore. They carry a lot of Lion Brand yarns. I've been wanting to try socks for a while now so thought the Magic Stripes would be great for a first attempt. Well, it seems that they're trying to re-image their yarn department. Now, they have tons of novelty yarns...fur and fluff and glitter. Not my cup of tea! But, they also have some Patons now. mission...failed!

I was starting to regret this endeavor all together. So, I made a quick trip through Linens-n-Things. I picked up a much-needed Pur water filter and some drawers to organize my closet. mission...successful!

Next was a quick lunch at La Madeleine...always a success. I just can't resist their tomato basil soup!

I decided to skip going to Michaels. There was a chance that they would have Magic Stripes, but it wasn't worth going further out of the way to find out. So, I headed back down the Pike toward the city.

Last stop...Knit and Stitch = Bliss. I like to drop in this store every once and again. Although it's a fairly small store, the people are usually helpful and the selection is good. Unfortunately, the striping sock yarns that they had in stock were a bit more than I wanted to spend. But, they have a rotating sale bin that is 25 - 30% off. So, last Friday I scored some Rowan Wool Cotton in deepest olive...The dye lots aren't all the same, but they look damn close. I just could resist it. It should be easy enough to alternate the dye lots...maybe I'll even wind up with a cool, subtle striping effect! I think I'm going to make a vest. mission...huge success!

To end my jaunt in the 'burbs, I got myself a latte @ the 'buck and headed home...I got in some afternoon knitting and waited for my Lamb's Pride to arrive. The ebay seller that I bought it sent a UPS tracking number as soon as it shipped, so I know that it was going to arrive today. And, I made sure that I made it back home by early afternoon...The UPS guy came at about 4:30 that afternoon. So, I'm the proud owner of 4 pounds of Lamb's pride bulky...and boy is it soft! I know my dad's sweater is going to be a joy knit!

1 comment:

Queen T said...

peace...there is an EXCELLENT restaurant on Rockville Pike. It's heading north (after Anthropologie, but before AC Moore) on the right-hand side. It's called The Vegetable Garden (Chinese Macrobiotic)...I love their lentil soup, sweet/sour mushrooms, and General Tsao Chicken (Tofu)...:)