Friday, September 10, 2004

is it too early to think about Christmas?


I think not! I know it's still 80 degrees out and the last thing I want to do is start working with wool. But if I don't get a plan in place now, I might not get things done in time.

When I got the new Rowan magazine, there was one sweater that I thought would be great for my Dad, Kirk. So, for the last month I've been trying to figure out if there was any Rowan Polar available at a fair price...The 11 skeins needed for this lovely, come with a pricetag of ~$140. And, it's not that my Dad isn't worth the big buck...I just don't have that kind of money right now.

I had been looking on ebay. Unfortunately, I need 11 skeins and most listings that I came across were for 10. I'd hate to think of what would happen if I ran out. So, then I started looking for substitutes. And, this is where I struck gold! I started looking at Lamb's Pride Bulky. It has a similar gauge and comes in tons of colors. I checked ebay one more time to see if anyone was selling Lamb's Pride and came across a seller offering 4lb cones. So now I have enough for my Dad's sweater and perhaps a nice scarf and glove set for myself...

Of course that means that I'm also waiting for another package!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for the Lambs Pride. I love their stuff, and as I was reading the beginning of the post--I thought maybe the Bulky would work. Voila, you reached the same conclusion. I've also found elann.com to have great deals for yarn subs. You can sort their inventory by gauge, so it's easy to sub.

Silvia
http://redsilvia.typepad.com/knitblog

Anonymous said...

Silvia,

I also love the sort feature at elann. Unfortunately, nothing in the gauge I need looked "manly" enough.