Thursday, October 28, 2004

distracted...


I got my package for Joann yesterday. And, of course I couldn't wait to play with my new "toys." I started a small swatch of the Jacquard patterning Kroy. I started with size 2 needles, and found that my gauge was about 8.5 st/inch. So, I plowed straight into a sock pattern using size 3 dpns. I really wanted to see the pattern that the yarn made...quick!

Well, I'm not sure if there's a trick to where you would start casting on, but I'm a little disappointed. Instead of the neat stripes that are shown in the picture, I got a big mess of black and grey specks. I'm going to rip that out and put the sock yarn away...I don't think I'm ready yet. And, when I do get serious about knitting a pair of socks, I'm going to start with the non-patterning yarn that I got.

To further add to my distraction, I have booked a ticket to Chicago for next month. I just couldn't resist. I have a 4-day weekend two weeks from now, and I just couldn't bear the thought of staying in DC. Not to mention the impossibly low fare that I got from Independence Air...$83, roundtrip! You read correctly, roundtrip! (hint: you get $25 off your first roundtrip flight if you join their club)

So, this morning I pulled my stash out of the closet and I've started a scarf for the friend that I'm staying with. I had a lot of Wool-Ease left over from scarves that I made last year, so it seemed like an easy choice. Right now, the plan is to make the whole thing in seed stitch, but that might change if I get bored with it. Since Peggy is on hold, this will be my bus project.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to concentrate on finishing Kirk. However, I feel like I'm really far ahead and that there is plenty of time to finish it. Right now, I'm a few row below the armhole shaping. This is also the point at which I start the split front split where the zipper will be. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish the knitting before I leave for my trip in 2 weeks.

No comments: