Thursday, March 03, 2005

possible yarn substitutions...


I've pretty much made up my mind. I'm going to make the wrap sweater from the new Rebecca to wear to the wedding this May. It seems like a great design that I'll be able to wear again, and it's short-sleeved in case it is a warm night. What sealed the deal was seeing a finished example. It's really easy for the magazines to make their designs look good, but I think this project looks great under normal lighting as well.

I'm trying to decide whether to put down the ~$50 for GGH Soft Kid that the pattern calls for. First, I have been reading on other blogs that supplies are short in the DC area. Second, I don't really want to spend $50 when I'm supposed to be on a yarn diet. Third, I haven't even gotten my copy of the Rowan mag to determine if anything would be more fitting.

So, I have started looking around eBay for a deal, and looking around the web for substitutes. My best prospects so far include Berroco's Mohair Classic (in a cream color) and Knitpick's Andean Silk. Ideally, I would like to start this project on April 1st. That should give me enough time to get this done in time for the first weekend of May. So, I'm going to order the yarn, I need to do it soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sweater is really cute!!! I think it will also compliment the dress'es slightly dropped waist/A-line.

Woo Hoo
AC